When I don’t know what to make…I usually end up making this bowl. It’s just so incredibly yummy and simple. The roasted sweet potato helps the flavors come together really beautifully. *Disclaimer: although this recipe is simple, it’s time consuming because the sweet potatoes takes 45 minutes – an hour to roast. I recommend roasting the sweet potatoes beforehand. Or, if you’re feeling really ambitious, roast all the veggies beforehand. That way, you have an easily assembled veggie-tacstic bowl ready to go! Enjoy!
Simple Sweet Potato Bowl
This recipe calls for one baking sheet. However, if you have two baking sheets available, things will run more smoothly. This is one of my favorite batch cooking recipes. You can simply roast all of the veggies over the weekend, because that’s the most time consuming part. Keep them in your fridge, and then assemble the bowl (steps 11- 13) for an easy week night meal!
- 4 small sized sweet potatoes
- 6 oz. bag of spinach
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped
- 9 or 10 oz. bag of shredded red cabbage
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 raw almonds
- 1 cup hummus
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt (plus extra for seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp pepper ((plus extra for seasoning))
- Preheat the oven to 425°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scrub the potatoes and pat dry. Use a fork to poke holes into each potato. Poke each potato 4 -5 times.
- When the oven is ready, place your potatoes onto the baking sheet and cook for 45 minutes – 1 hour. To check and see if the potatoes are ready, use a fork to pierce the skin of the thickest part of the potato. The fork should piece the potato easily, with little to no force. Then you know they are done!
- Transfer the potatoes to a plate to cool and replace the parchment paper with a fresh sheet. Or, if you have two baking sheets, you can allow the potatoes to cool where they are and simply line your second baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the halved cherry tomatoes and chopped broccoli. Coat with 1 tbsp of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, and 1/2 tsp of pepper. Once mixed and evenly coated, transfer the broccoli and tomatoes onto the baking sheet.
- Roast for 15 – 20 minutes (still at 425°F), flipping halfway through. When the veggies are finished, remove them from the oven and allow them to cool.
- Heat the remaining tbsp of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add in the shredded cabbage and coat in the oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Continue to sauté until the cabbage becomes slightly tender (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- Begin to add in the spinach into the skillet. Add 2 handfuls at a time, continuing to sauté and mix with the cabbage. Continue until all the spinach is added and has wilted down. Remove the mixture from the heat.
- To assemble each bowl, take one sweet potato and slice into even pieces (about 5-8 pieces, depending the size of the potato). You can remove the skin at this point. Or, if you’re like me and enjoy the flavor, simply leave it on.
- Place the sliced sweet potato into a bowl along with 1/4 of the spinach/cabbage mixture and 1/4 of the broccoli/tomato mixture.
- Top each bowl with 1/4 cup of hummus and 2 tbsp of raw almonds. Enjoy!