HELLO 2017! Holy smokes, I can’t believe 2016 is in the books. What a year of adventure, change, and community. December was filled with matinee movies, peppermint bark, tea, and a meditation retreat. Yeah, you read that correctly. I spent the last week of December in North Fork, California on a meditation retreat. BUT, I’ll have a whole post coming on that later. For now, let’s focus on the movies and stuff….
- This movie. Ok, most likely you’ve heard of La La Land and seen the trailer once or twice. But you guys….seriously, this movie…sigh. It is pure magic.I found myself just not wanting it to end! Go treat yourself to a couple hours and fall in love with Hollywood again.
- This book. Shonda Rhimes is the creator of Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, Private Practice, and How to Get Away With Murder. She’s also funny as hell. This book is an account of her year of saying “yes” to more opportunities rather than hiding in the shadows. I listened to it on my drive up north. I highly recommend the audiobook because Shonda reads it and you feel like you’re just hearing stories from a really great friend. Did I mention she’s super funny?
- This song. What can I say? I’m in a rock and roll mood recently.
- Making my own almond milk. I have absolutely fallen in love with making my own almond milk. For so long I was afraid to even try. Like…you need a cheesecloth. That felt scary. But I promise, it is SO simple and I can’t wait to share.
- This planner. I splurged. This planner from Danielle Laporte is so much more than a planner. It has a space for a gratitude list everyday, for to-do’s and things that you want to STOP doing. It’s a beautiful way to get in touch with your core desired feelings and intentions for the year.
- My meditation practice. Ok, I couldn’t leave this out completely. From my retreat, I found that a consistent meditation practice helped me develop a level of inner peace and moment to moment acceptance that I had really been missing. I can’t wait to write a whole post about this and share some of the big take aways. The retreat helped show me the wonders of a daily practice. I think that prior to this retreat, my practice was so sporadic that I never felt the benefits that arise from consistency. Again, I will share more soon 🙂 If you’re looking to start a meditation practice, I highly recommend this app or this one.
What nourished you in the last month of 2016? I’d love to hear!
Happy year, friends!